Level 2 95 Hour Children's Yoga Teacher Certification with an Emphasis on Inclusion and Accessibility
Become a 95-hour Certified Children's Yoga Teacher with the knowledge and skills to teach children of diverse abilities in groups and 1:1 settings!Watch Promo
Asanas for Autism and Special Needs 70-hour Level 2 Training to equal a 95-hour Children's Yoga Certification with an emphasis on Making Yoga and Mindfulness Inclusive and Accessible to Children of Diverse Abilities and Backgrounds
October 9th-November 22nd, 2020
Early Bird Pricing: $1,100.00 if registered by September 25th, 2020.
Please note registration for the course is non-refundable for any and all reasons. By registering for and paying for the course you are acknowledging that there will be no refunds given. Should there be a conflict with timing you will have the option to transfer to a future course for a $50 rescheduling fee.
Join our 6 week course with a combination of online learning, videos, webinars, lectures and in person Zoom meetings with the lead trainer and group participants. Please review the mandatory Zoom meeting times below.
Trainees will learn and practice:
- Child Development: Physical, Cognitive and Social/Emotional Developmental stages for children ages 5-17 years, including non-typical developmental stages and how that applies to children with special needs.
- ANS: Autonomic Nervous System, Fight/Flight/Freeze and how unmanaged stress and trauma impact the developing brain as well as physical, mental and social/emotional well being.
- Yoga Philosophy: as it applies to working with children, including children with special needs. How to teach and integrate the 8 Limbs of Yoga in your own life as well as your children's yoga lessons and classes. Chakras, Mudras & Chanting.
- Workshop with Pediatric Physical Therapist: Anatomy and physiology related specifically to each level of child development with a focus on modifications and adaptations for children with special needs.
- Asanas, Pranayama and Visualization Strategies: Including modifications and adaptations for children with special needs. Suggestions for specific poses and breathing strategies to support the needs of children with sensory integration difficulties as well as language processing disorders/difficulties, ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder), Down Syndrome, Prader Willi, Fragile X, Cerebral Palsy, ADD/ADHD, LD and other developmental disabilities as well as children with behavior challenges, trauma and anxiety. Special emphasis on sensory processing and teaching children self-regulation and how to cope with anxiety and difficult emotions.
- Teaching Methodology: Teaching and Developing yoga-based lesson plans, activities, games, songs, stories, group lessons and individual/private sessions for children of all abilities.. Understanding specific teaching approaches and strategies for each developmental stage and learning style.Participants will learn specific teaching approaches, use of voice and tone, structuring a group class, implementing positive behavior supports and programming, developing a yoga-based curriculum and structuring individual/private sessions to meet the specific developmental needs of the group or child to include active and restorative asanas as well as chair yoga in a variety of settings including home, studio and classroom settings.
- Workshop with Music Therapist: The benefits of music therapy, music and sound and finding and connecting to your authentic voice with Sita Rose
- The "Business of Yoga" - How to connect to and manifest your dreams, develop attainable goals and create/grow your yoga business.
- Observation & Practice Teaching.
- Final Project: Creating/Developing your own class/lesson plan weaving in the teaching from throughout the training.
- Yoga Teachers
- Pediatric Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Speech Therapists
- Behavior Specialists
- Mental Health Practitioners
- Social Workers
- Pediatric or School Nurses
- A.P.E. Teachers
- Anyone who is passionate about sharing the benefits of yoga with children of all abilities.
Participants must have completed the 25-hour Level 1 training. Upon completion of the training, trainees who are 200 hr RCYT's will be qualified as Children's Yoga Teachers and will be eligible to register with Yoga Alliance as RCYT's, Registered Children's Yoga Teachers. All participants who complete this training will be certified as Children's Yoga Teachers with an emphasis on making yoga and mindfulness INCLUSIVE and ACCESSIBLE to children of diverse abilities.
Zoom meetings one weekend day every week throughout the course. Please see which day you would be attending Zoom meetings based on your time zone. Attendance in the meetings is required for completion of the Level 2 Certificate.
*It is not an option to choose between group 1 and group 2 - your group is designated based on the country and time zone you are in
Group 1 - Saturdays throughout the course from 2-6pm PST
Global Time Zones:
United States (Saturdays) please see the times in your state
AEST - 7:00am - 11:00am
AEDT - 8:00am - 12:00pm
ACDT - 7:30am -11:30am
ACST - 6:30am - 10:30am
China: 5am-9am (Sundays)
Japan: 6am-10am (Sundays)
Brazil: 6pm-10pm (Sundays)
Group 2 - Sundays throughout the course from 9:00am-1:00pm PST
Global Time Zones:
Greece: 7pm-11pm (Mondays)
Europe: 5pm-9pm (Sundays)
Germany: 6pm-10pm (Sundays)
Netherlands: 6pm-10pm (Sundays)
France: 6pm-10pm (Sundays)
India: 9:30pm-1:30pm (Sundays)
Israel: 7:00pm-11:00pm (Sundays)
Poland: 6:00pm-10:00pm (Sundays)
Italy: 6:00pm-10:00pm (Sundays)
Dates: October 9th-November 22nd, 2020
This 6 week course will be a combination of online self-paced learning and group learning and connection via Zoom meetings. Please Note: You will be required to attend the scheduled Zoom meetings. Zoom meetings are scheduled on Saturdays and Sundays (1 weekend day per week) throughout the course for different time zones.
Please See the course Syllabus below with Zoom meeting tentative schedule.
Sample Course Syllabus
Building Trust and Connection
- Attachment & Learning
Stages of Development
- Birth to Age 18
- Skeletal System, Movement & Asana
- Developmental Milestones
- Therapeutic Considerations for Specific Needs
Exploring Poses and Benefits/Effects of Poses
- Asanas, Benefits & Effects
- Developing Inclusive and Accessible Classes
- Restorative Yoga
The 8 Senses, The Brain, Yoga & Multi-Sensory Approach
- Tapping into the 5 Senses
- Sensory Processing and the Brain
- How to teach through a multi-sensory approach
The 8 Limbs of Yoga applied to Children
- Yamas & Niyamas
- Asanas & Sounds
Developing Thematic Yoga Classes/Lessons
- Exploring Themes
- Practice Teaching
Yoga Games and Activities
- Games/Activities based on age/stage
- Props & Tools
- Books & Stories
- Creating Yoga Stories
- Music Therapy Workshop
Developing 1:1 Sessions
- Assessing Needs
- Working with Parent
- Creating 1:1 Programs
Business of Yoga
- Manifesting and Getting Clear on Vision of Yoga Business
- Setting up a Yoga Business
- Building Your Yoga Business
- Goal Setting
End of Course
Zoom Meeting Schedule
Group 1: October 10th - 2pm-6pm PST , Group 2: October 11th - 9am-1pm PST
- Journaling Prompt
- Overview of Course & Final Project
- Content Review - Sensory Processing & the Brain
Group 1: October 17th - 2pm-6pm PST , Group 2: October 18th - 9am-1pm PST
- Lecture Pediatric Physical Therapist - Anatomy & Physiology
Group 1: October 24th - 2pm-6pm PST , Group 2: October 25th - 9am-1pm PST
- Journaling prompt
- Group Work - Developing Inclusive and Accessible Classes
Group 1: October 31st - 2pm-6pm PST , Group 2: November 1st - 9am-1pm PST
- Journaling prompt
- Content Review - 8 Limbs of Yoga
- Workshop with Music Therapist
Group 1: November 7th - 2pm-6pm PST , Group 2: November 8th - 9am-1pm PST
- Journaling prompt
- Content Review - Chakras
- Practice Teaching - Developing 1:1 Classes/Sessions with Themes & Stories
Group 1: November 14th - 2pm-6pm PST , Group 2: November 15th - 9am-1pm PST
- Journaling prompt
- Business of Children's Yoga
- Final Project Presentations
Group 1: November 21st - 2pm-6pm PST , Group 2: November 22nd - 9am-1pm PST
- Final Project Presentations
Shawnee is a Certified Yoga Therapist, Intermediate Somatic Experiencing© Practitioner, M.Ed., and Educational/Behavioral Specialist. She is the Founder of Asanas for Autism and Special Needs and the Founder/Director of Yoga Therapy for Youth Certification Program. Shawnee has worked with children and adults with autism and special needs for over 20 years. She has specialized in working with children and adults with significant cognitive and language delays, sensory processing deficits, as well as severe behavior challenges. Shawnee works with private clients of all abilities to facilitate health and healing. Her goal is to bring the experience of yoga to all individuals no matter their differences or challenges. She wrote a published a book, Asanas for Autism and Special Needs – Yoga to Help Children with Their Emotions, Self-Regulation and Body Awareness and is the creator of the C.A.L.M.M Yoga Toolkit. She is in the process of writing her second published book on the topic of Yoga Therapy for Youth.
She started a Yoga School through Yoga Alliance in order to train others in yoga approaches to support children and adults with autism and special needs and travels globally to share her teachings. Shawnee is dedicated to helping support youth and adults in developing strategies to cope with stress in order to live happier, healthier more peaceful lives.
Through her study and experience teaching yoga to her students in her classroom, she quickly realized the benefits of yoga on her students attention and focus, reduced anxiety, body awareness and development of calming strategies. She also noticed the positive reaction from her students and the excitement they displayed each time they practiced yoga. She has experienced first hand the benefits yoga can provide to health and overall well-being. She has a unique combination of understanding autism and other special needs and knowing how to teach and reach these young people.
Shawnee has led several workshops at major conferences both in the US and Internationally; including MISTY (Montreal International Symposium for Yoga Therapy) and IAYT (International Association of Yoga Therapists) SYTAR Conference on Yoga for Sensory Processing and Self-Regulation for children with ASD, BOOST Conference (Best Out of School Time) on Yoga for Children with Special Needs , Yoga and Mindfulness for Youth and Yoga to Reduce Stress and Increase Relaxation for Educators. TRUST Conference (Teens Understanding and Reflecting Stigma Together) on Learning to Breath, Yoga and Mindfulness for Teens, including teens struggling with mental illness and UCSD Bridging the Hearts and Minds of Youth Conference on Yoga and Mindfulness for Sensory Integration and Self-Regulation.
Shawnee has written for and has had her work featured in several magazines and online resources. See media features here.
Shawnee also offers private, small group therapeutic sessions and corporate sessions for adults as well as yoga workshops and trainings through her company Embodied Wellness Yoga Therapy.