From Anxious to Embodied and Empowered
Integrating Yoga and Somatic Movement through a Trauma Informed Lens to Support Children and Teens in Building Greater Capacity and Resilience
From Anxious to Embodied and Empowered - Integrating Yoga and Somatic Movement through a Trauma Informed Lens to Support Children and Teens in Building Greater Capacity and Resilience
- Yoga Teachers
- Yoga Therapists
- Somatic Experiencing© Practitioners
- Embodiment Practitioners
- Pediatric, O.T.'s, P.T's, Speech Therapists
- Behavior Therapists
- Mental Health Practitioners
- School Counselors
- Expressive Arts Therapists
- Movement Therapists
- Parents or Caregivers
- Anyone who works with youth and is interested in using a bottom up approach in supporting children and teens
This course will explore yoga and somatic movement practices to support children and teens in moving from anxious or disempowered states to more embodied and empowered states.
A combination of self-paced lecture, webinars, online videos, experiential practices and test your learning reviews.
*This is a self-paced course so there is not a specific number of hours designated for the course. However, the course content is approximately 10-12 hours of study. See the in-depth content covered in the lectures below.
Course participants will learn:
- The definition of trauma and the different trauma categories
- What is ACE's
- Polyvagal Theory and the Impact of Trauma and Unmanaged Stress on a Child's Development and Experience with the World Around Them
- What is Somatic Experiencing©?
- How to Work with Children Through a Trauma Informed Lens
- Benefits of Yoga and Somatic Practices for Children and Teens
- Anxiety and Depression Amongst our Youth (Research, Causes, Symptoms & Similarities)
- Practices for Up-regulating and Down-regulating the Nervous System
- Rhythmic Movement and Sensory Integration & Why they Matter
- Attachment Theory Explained
- Building Connection and Attunement (Co-regulation, Tracking and Attunement, Somatic Based Touch)
- Practices to Support Interoception, Self-Regulation and Safety
- Window of Tolerance & Resilience
- Expressing and Releasing Difficult Emotions
- Working with Boundaries, Self Agency and Self Empowerment through Yoga, Somatic Movement, Breath, Vocalization and Visualization
- Embracing and Embodying our "Animal Nature"
- Using Animals, Superheroes, Characters, etc. as Embodied Protectors
- Nature and Ventral Vagal Connection
Participants will receive a Certificate of Completion upon completing the course
Facebook Group - Participants will be invited to join a private Facebook Group to build community and connect with Shawnee Thornton Hardy and other course participants.
THIS COURSE IS AN APD COURSE THROUGH YOGA ALLIANCE - COURSE PARTICIPANTS WHO ARE WITH YOGA ALLIANCE RECEIVE 12 CEU'S
Registration is non-refundable. *Once I pay for the course I agree that there will be no refunds for any and all reasons.
Shawnee is a C-IAYT -Certified Yoga Therapist, Somatic Experiencing® Practitioner, M.Ed., and Educational/Behavioral Specialist. She is the Founder of Asanas for Autism and Special Needs and the Founder/Director of Yoga Therapy for Youth Certification Program. Shawnee has worked with children and adults with and complex and diverse needs for 30 years. She has specialized in working with children and adults with neurodiverse needs, sensory processing challenges, communication differences, developmental disabilities, mental health challenges and trauma backgrounds. Shawnee works with private clients of all brains, bodies and abilities to facilitate health and healing. Her goal is to bring the experience of yoga to all individuals no matter their differences or challenges.
She has written two published a books, Asanas for Autism and Special Needs – Yoga to Help Children with Their Emotions, Self-Regulation and Body Awareness and her second book - Yoga Therapy for Children and Teens.- Embodying a Somatosensory Approach to Mental, Physical and Emotional Wellbeing has just recently been published and is NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE! She is also the creator of the C.A.L.M.M Yoga Toolkit and Body Sensations Curriculum.
She has a Yoga School through Yoga Alliance in order to train others in yoga approaches to support children and adults with neurodiverse needs and children and adults with complex needs needs and travels globally to share her teachings. Shawnee is dedicated to helping support youth and adults in developing strategies to cope with stress in order to live happier, healthier more empowered lives.
Shawnee has experienced first hand the benefits yoga and somatic practices can provide to health and overall well-being as she is a survivor of childhood trauma as well as multiple significant traumas in her adulthood, resulting in a diagnosis of PTSD. She is also a cancer survivor. She has a unique combination of understanding neurodiversity, developmental disability, trauma and other complex needs and knowing how to support people of all ages in connecting to their authentic self and building more capacity and resilience in order to live life in a more embodied and empowered way.
Shawnee has led several workshops at major conferences both in the US and Internationally; including MISTY (Montreal International Symposium for Yoga Therapy) and IAYT (International Association of Yoga Therapists) SYTAR Conference on Yoga for Sensory Processing and Self-Regulation for children with ASD, BOOST Conference (Best Out of School Time) on Yoga for Children with Special Needs , Yoga and Mindfulness for Youth and Yoga to Reduce Stress and Increase Relaxation for Educators. TRUST Conference (Teens Understanding and Reflecting Stigma Together) on Learning to Breath, Yoga and Mindfulness for Teens, including teens struggling with mental illness and UCSD Bridging the Hearts and Minds of Youth Conference on Yoga and Mindfulness for Sensory Integration and Self-Regulation.
Shawnee has written for and has had her work featured in several magazines,podcasts and online resources. See media features here.
Shawnee also offers private and small group therapeutic sessions for children and adults as well as yoga and somatic movement workshops and trainings through her company Embodied Wellness Yoga Therapy.